RETURN OF THE POPULAR EUROPEAN FILM FESTIVAL AT CINEMA NOUVEAU THEATRES IN MAY
Love has many faces as films explore ‘Beyond Love’ as the festival theme
Love has many faces, sometimes unexpected, sometimes challenging. As the Beyond Love theme suggests, the European Film Festival (#EuroFilmFestSA) explores some of them with the screening of ten internationally-acclaimed films, representing the best of European cinema but never before screened to South African audiences.
The European Film Festival (EUFF) will be shown exclusively at Cinema Nouveau theatres and runs from 09 – 18 May 2014, in partnership with 10 European cultural agencies and embassies based in South Africa. All the featured films are the recipients of numerous awards and accolades at international film festivals and competitions, including the Oscars and the Cannes Film Festival. They are the latest productions from the most exciting and talented film directors in Europe at the moment, and a true reflection of European cinematographic creativity and diversity.
“The theme of Love serves as an interesting starting point for a European film selection. This contemporary selection of films allows us to experience tales beyond the cliché and ‘national’ narrative, to offer challenging, entertaining and compelling images of love, desire and the current state of Europe,’ says Darryl Els, EUFF 2014 festival director.
Lola Gallant, brand manager of Cinema Nouveau, is delighted that this exciting festival is making an appearance again. “We pride ourselves on providing a platform to screen the best foreign language fare, and the ten films lined up for the EUFF in May are a must-see. We are privileged to offer these films that would otherwise not be available in South Africa, at our cinemas, and are grateful to all the partners involved in putting this festival together.”
The list of films to be screened during the European Film Festival 2014 include:
· Paradise: Love (Austria) - Cannes Film Festival 2012 – Official Competition,
· The Broken Circle Breakdown (Belgium) - Best Foreign Language Film Oscar nominated, 2014,
· The Hunt (Denmark) - Cannes Film Festival 2012 – Official Competition Best Foreign Language Film Oscar nominated, 2014,
· Stranger by the Lake (France) - Cannes Film Festival 2013 – Best Director Award, Un Certain Regard section,
· Barbara (Germany) - Berlin International Film Festival 2012, Best Director Award,
· The Great Beauty (Italy) - Best Foreign Language Film Oscar 2014,
· Tabu (Portugal) - Berlin International Film Festival 2012 – Official Competition,
· Child’s Pose (Romania) - Berlin International Film Festival 2013, Golden Bear (Best Film),
· Living is Easy with Eyes Closed (Spain) - San Sebastian International Film Festival - Official Competition, and
· Le Week-End (United Kingdom) - Toronto International Film Festival.
This special treat for movie-lovers is hosted exclusively by Cinema Nouveau nationwide, with the ten-day screening programme taking place concurrently in Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg and Pretoria from 09 – 18 May. Bookings open on 15 April and special festival ticket rates will apply to make these foreign language films accessible to a wide audience.
The festival also features an outreach screening programme and a competition that gives ticket-holders the chance to win a trip for two to France, courtesy of Air France and Atout France (French tourism agency). All the details regarding the festival schedule, bookings and the competition mechanics can be found on the Cinema Nouveau website from 15 April: www.cinemanouveau.co.za.
The European Film Festival is co-ordinated by the French Institute of South Africa and organised in partnership with the European Union and eight other European cultural agencies or embassies in South Africa: the British Council, the Camões Institute, the Goethe Institut, the Italian Cultural Institute, the Flemish government delegation and the Embassies of Austria, Belgium, Denmark and Spain.
For booking information on the 2014 EUFF, visit www.cinemanouveau.co.za or sterkinekor.mobi, or call our Ticketline on 082 16789. Follow us on Twitter @nouveaubuzz. You can also download the Ster-Kinekor App on any Nokia, Samsung Android, iPhone and Blackberry handset for updates, news and to book from your mobile.